This is really a short story about a drive up to the northern end of Kefalonia from the main town of Argostoli, but the highlight is a short walk at Assos up to a castle, with superb views of the village. There is great scenery as well at the famous Myrtos Beach, and the little harbour of Fiscardo that is popular for sailing. It's just about 75 minutes drive to Fiscardo from Argostoli, along a winding road, but you'll want to allow a full day to make the most of it.
- I’ll remember most the great views of Asos from the walk up to the castle.
- The best bit was having a swim in Assos bay after the walk.
- The worst bit was taking the wrong route up to the castle, so we didn't complete the climb.
- The funniest aspect was the man taking a nude swim at Myrtos beach.
- I hadn’t expected we'd make it to Fiscardo before dark, but we managed it.
- The word of warning would be to take care if you're driving back in the dark. Start out early!
< Back to Kefalonia page with links to other stories
|Date walked||October 2005|
|Walk type||Countryside and easy hill walks|
|Difficulty||moderate fitness required|
|Distance||3 km / 2 miles|
|Time taken||1 hrs 30 mins|
|Walk source info||there's information in the Landmark Visitors Guide to Kefalonia|
|Getting there||Car from Argostoli, about 36 km to Assos, 48 km direct to Fiscardo|