An organised guided half-day walk, providing a gentle introduction to hiking in the landscape and villages of the Paliki peninsula in western Kefalonia. It’s made up of low hills and fertile valleys which contrast with the high limestone country of the rest of the island. The two villages of Vlichata and Kouvalata were reached at the top of two of these hills, so some effort is required on this route.
- I’ll remember most the lunch with the rest of the party, and the father-in-law.
- Apart from that, the best bit was the walk after lunch with the splendid view on our left.
- The worst bit was the various heaps of refuse we passed along the route.
- Even so, the funniest aspect was the collection of derelict vehicles embedded in the landscape.
- I hadn’t expected Frances to cope with the walk so well!
- The only word of warning would be to make sure to take sturdy footwear even for a walk like this – a few stretches were over stony tracks.
< Back to Kefalonia page with links to other stories
|Location||Lixouri, Paliki peninsula, Kefalonia|
|Date walked||October 2005|
|Walk type||Countryside and easy hill walks|
|Difficulty||moderate fitness and suitable footwear required|
|Distance||10km / 6miles|
|Height climbed||300m / 1300 ft|
|Time taken||3 hrs 0 mins|
|Map used||none - guided walk, but tc 1:80,000 travel map of Kefalonia and Ithaca shows the route|
|Walk source info||guided walks|
|Getting there||Ferry from Argostoli to Lixouri, taxi to start of walk and back to ferry|
|Places to stay||Hotels and studios on Paliki and Lassi area, near Argostoli|