The High Tatras make up one of Europe's smallest mountain ranges, on the border between Slovakia and Poland, yet the peaks rise dramatically to a maximum height of 2654m at Gerlachovsky Stit. The next-but-one mountain to the east is Slavkovsky Stit, rising above the tourist village of Stary Smokevec. in northern Slovakia.
Unlike the other peaks in the High Tatras, it has a rounded summit and can be climbed via the marked blue trail, without the help of a mountain guide. Therefore it made an ideal objective for a walk when the weather cleared at the end of a week's family holiday at AquaCity in Poprad.
It's a full day's hike, out and back via the marked route, and is hard going over acres of boulders, but magnificent views reward the effort on a good day. There are lots more images in the Gallery.
- I'll remember most the long climb and descent over the rocks
- The best bit was certainly the view from the top across to the peaks of the High Tatras
- The worst bit was coming down over those rocks (although not difficult)
- We were surprised to see the effect of wind damage on the lower forests
- Another surprise was the striking transition from steep mountains to low-lying plain
- There are two tricky bits - one large slab that requires a bit of effort to clamber up it, and a short exposed section just after, at the start of the ridge
- Another word of warning is to take plenty of water - about 2 litres per person - and food for the day.
Story contributed by Andrew Llanwarne< Back to Slovakia (Slovak Rep) page for links to other stories
|Location||4km north-west of the village of Stary Smokevec in the High Tatra National Park of Slovakia|
|Date walked||28 July 2008|
|Walk type||High hills and mountain hikes|
|Difficulty||Requires stamina and experience of mountain walking, with strong footwear.|
|Distance||8 miles / 13 km|
|Time taken||7 hrs 30 mins|
|Map used||Kompass 1:50,000 leisure map 2100 of Hohe Tatra|
|Walk source info||Short reference in Lonely Planet guide to Czech and Slovak Republics, and the map.|
|Getting there||30 minutes' drive by hire car from AquaCity in Poprad. Stary Smokevec is easily accessible by electric train from Poprad.|
|Places to stay||Lots of choice in Stary Smokevec, Tatranska Lomnica and AquaCity.|